Running & Reading Club Mentor
(Start2Finish, Oakville - Oakwood Public School, Running & Reading Club)
|Comments||Start2Finish Running & Reading Club mentors have a significant role to encourage students on a weekly basis for positive change physically, mentally and emotionally through fitness and literacy. Mentors help to build confidence and motivate students to achieve success, stay in school, and build lasting friendships with peers and mentors.|
|Contact||Jaime Drohan, Running & Reading Club - Oakwood Public School, Start2Finish; Phone: 226-979-0752 * 905-319-1885; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Duties||Volunteer responsibilities include: |
- Physical activity: Volunteers lead warm up, running workouts, and other fitness activities while cheering them on and providing encouragement.
- Snack: Volunteers help to distribute snack to the students after the physical activity component.
- Word of the Day: Volunteers have the opportunity to explain a "Word of the Day” for the whole group. They will share the word selected for that week (as provided in the Director’s Manual) and ask for feedback from the students regarding the definition and how they can use it at some point in their lives.
- Journal: Volunteers assist children to record their accomplishments in both running and reading each week.
- Reading: Volunteers supervise as children read silently, read one-on-one with children or lead group reading, listen to them read and providing help and encouragement.
|More Info Link||www.start2finishonline.org|
|Benefits||- Meet new people |
- Develop new skills
- Give back to the community
- Gain a rewarding experience
- Complete placement hours
- Have fun!
|Clients||Elementary students grade 1-6|
|Ages||18 year(s) - 70 year(s)|
|Suitable for OSSD||No|
|Suitable For||Adults (18+) ; Seniors (55+) ; Post-secondary students ; Couples ; Community Groups ; Workplaces / Corporate Groups|
|Areas of Interest||Education Support (Elementary / Secondary) ; Mentorship / Leadership ; Physical Fitness & Exercise ; Reading / Literacy ; Youth Engagement|
|Skills/Experience||Communication & Interpersonal Skills ; Friendly & Outgoing ; Leadership ; Mentoring & Training ; Positive / Cheerful Demeanor ; Self-Motivated / Work Independently ; Team Work ; Working with Children|
|Commitment Length||Medium Term (4 months to 1 year) ; October - May; time commitment is flexible.|
|Interaction Level||One-on-one ; Small Group ; Large Group|
|Minimum Hours||2 / Week|
|Dates and Times||Thursday: Afternoon (2:30-4:30 pm)|
|Seasons||Spring ; Fall ; Winter ; Programs is parallel with the school calendar|
|Location||357 Bartos Drive, Oakville, ON L6K 3E5|
|Number of Positions||Oakville: 20 individual(s) |
20 individual(s) needed in total.
|Training||Orientation ; Training is provided|
|Transportation||Near public transit|
|Additional Requirements||Volunteer application; police check for volunteers 18 years and older|
|[ More Agency Info | Other Opportunities | Suggest New Opportunity ]|
|Organization Name||Start2Finish, Oakville - Oakwood Public School, Running & Reading Club|
|Toll Free Phone||1-888-320-8844|
|Address & Map|
Oakwood Public School
357 Bartos Dr
Oakville, ON L6K 3E5
View Google Map
|Mailing Address||4230 Sherwoodtowne Blvd, Unit 303 |
Mississauga, ON L4Z 2G6