Services may be impacted in response to COVID-19. Please contact organizations listed here prior to visiting in person to receive the most current service information.

Landscape Ontario

Site: Milton

Service: Horticultural Technician Apprenticeship

Contact Information
Office Phone 905-875-1805
Toll Free Phone 1-800-265-5656
Social Media Facebook Facebook:
Instagram Instagram:
LinkedIn LinkedIn:
Twitter Twitter:
YouTube YouTube:
Primary Contact Christy Sebastian, Apprenticeship Program Pathways & Registration Specialist; Phone: 1-800-265-5656 ext 2318; Email:
Agency Information
Legal Status (50) Non Profit
Established 1973
Primary Executive Sally Harvey, Director of Education & Workforce Development; Phone: 1-800-265-5656 ext 315; Email:
Funding Provincial - Government of Ontario ; Federal - Government of Canada
Description and Service Details
Description (Service) Workplace-based training provided under the direction of experienced mentors and trainers, combined  
with classroom training 
* the Ontario government pays for almost 85% of classroom training, supports apprentices with grants and some apprentices are eligible for EI grants during classroom training 
* approximately 80% of the training happens on-­the­-job with an employer and the other 20% is completed in school over two 12-week winter semesters 
* once registered, apprentices typically take between 4­-6 years to complete their training and certification requirements 
The Benefits: 
* Financial Incentives throughout the process; apprentices are eligible for over $4,000 in grants 
* Hands on training that will develop a deeper knowledge of the profession 
* Cost effective, the Ministry covers 85% of the in­-class training 
* Upon completion the Apprentice will obtain a Red Seal Journey-person Class designation (eligible to practice the trade across Canada) 
Your Commitment: 
* Training with an employer for over 5,400 hours (3-5 years) 
* Completing a 12-­week (basic) in-­class training session at a training provider (Tuition fee applies) 
* Completing a 12­-week (advanced) in­-class training session at a training provider (Tuition fee applies) 
* Completing a skills sign­-off Training Standard Book of required skills on-the-job with your employer 
* Completing a Certificate of Qualification Exam at the end of the apprenticeship
Hours Mon-Fri 9 am-5 pm
Dates Open enrollment throughout the year
Areas Served Durham Region ; Halton Region ; Hamilton ; Peel Region ; Toronto ; York Region
Boundaries Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas - Durham, York, Toronto, Peel, Halton, Hamilton
Eligibility Ages: 18 year(s) and up 
* have legal permission to work in Canada 
* a minimum of grade 12 high school diploma or equivalent ­(international designations must provide Canadian equivalency) 
* employed in the Horticultural Sector in Ontario 
* must be registered with the MTCU and OCOT
Application To register and for more information, contact Sally Harvey at
Languages English
Fees None ; Free bus service available from Toronto and Hamilton
Transportation Free bus service available from Toronto and Hamilton
Site Information
Located In Community Milton
Address & Map
7856 Fifth Line S
Milton, ON L9T 2X8
View Google Map
Intersection Fifth Line & Steeles Ave
Physical Access Fully Accessible
Categories and Classification
HCSD Main Heading Employment / Training
HCSD Sub Heading Apprenticeship
Service Categories Apprenticeship Training ~ Agricultural/Forestry and Related Occupations

Agency Overview

Locations for this Service

Any omissions are unintentional and HIP disclaims any liability for unauthorized use or reproduction of any portion of this site. For a complete copyright and license statement please refer to our Terms of Use.